The information provided on this resources page is a public service of the Barton Center. Nothing contained in these pages constitutes legal advice. Most links direct readers to sites independent of the Barton Center.

The Barton Center represents a small number of individual clients each year. Center faculty and students do not provide legal advice or legal services outside formal attorney-client relationships or formalized relationships with community partners. The Barton Center does not provide walk-in direct legal representation in individual cases. The resources below may direct you to information, resources, and contacts that may be helpful in your situation.

How Do I...

Apply for Financial Assistance from the Georgia Department of Human Services?

Many financial assistance programs are administered by the GA DHS. The DHS web site provides information about applying for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), food stamps, Medicaid, PeachCare, and child care assistance.

Contact the Georgia Office of the Child Advocate?

For assistance with concerns about a case involving the Division of Family and Children Services or a case that was handled by a juvenile court, contact the Georgia Office of the Child Advocate. That office is designed to oversee the agencies responsible for providing services to abused and neglected children and to advocate for needed changes in law and policy affecting children. The Office of the Child Advocate can be reached by calling 404-656-4200 or by visiting their web site at oca.georgia.gov. The office has an on-line complaint system for reporting concerns.

Find a Lawyer?

If you are in need of an attorney to assist you with a legal issue, we suggest that you contact your local community bar association for a lawyer referral. If you cannot afford a lawyer and you have a case pending in juvenile court, you may be entitled to a court-appointed lawyer.  Contact your juvenile court for additional information. The State Bar of Georgia provides some public information that may be helpful in finding a lawyer and has an online searchable directory of Georgia lawyers.

These resources may also be helpful:
Atlanta Legal Aid Society
Georgia Legal Services Program

Find a State of Georgia Employee?

The Georgia Technology Authority maintains a searchable directory of state employees.

Look up Georgia Department of Human Services Policies?

The DHS policy manuals are housed in DHS's "On-line Directives Information System (ODIS)" in MS Word format.

Look Up Georgia Laws?

The Official Code of Georgia is available on the Georgia General Assembly web site.

Report Suspected Child Abuse?

The Georgia Department of Human Services Division of Family and Children Services web site provides information on reporting suspected child abuse and neglect:

How to report abuse or neglect
FAQ on reporting abuse or neglect
CPS After-Hours Call Center

In general, if a child is in immediate danger, contact the police immediately. If the child is not in immediate danger, a report of abuse or neglect should be made to the DFCS office in the county where the child lives. DHS has a list of county offices on their web site. For more information regarding child abuse and neglect visit DHS's web site.

Search for Registered Sex Offenders in Georgia?

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation maintains a searchable database of Georgia registered sex offenders. Registered sex offenders in other states may be found in this directory of state sex offender registries.

General Information Web Sites

Georgia Government Web Sites

Georgia Non-Governmental Organizations

Previous page: Press